[NTG-context] Tables --- what is current recommendation?

Tobias Burnus burnus at gmx.de
Sun Dec 18 22:48:37 CET 2005

Hi,

David Arnold wrote:
> I'm wondering. If one is starting anew with Context, what would users
> recommend as the best choice of table environment?
I think it really depends on the type of table you need. For something
with a simple layout like vocabulary or address lists I would use
tabulate, for complex layouts with columns/rows spanning several cells I
would use the HTML-like TABLE.
table(s) falls in somewhere inbetween - more flexible than tabulate but
less than TABLE. (I think one should go rather for tabulate/TABLE than
for table(s), but others may disagree.)

For "line tables" the sourcefile already tells that "it provides a
mechanism for typesetting very large tables spanning many pages
horizontally and vertically", which is "experimental, undocumented".
(Only) if you have a table which spans _horizontal_ several pages you
should have a look.

Tobias