[NTG-context] interesting font

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Thu Dec 15 15:49:22 CET 2005

Dear all,

quite by coincidence, I discovered a nice font for download. It is
called GFSDidot and can be downloaded at http://greekfontsociety.org/
typefaces.html

I became interested because it has a full set of polytoniko Greek
characters, but the Latin typeface (which resembles Palatino) is very
nice, too; it has (for the Regular variant) a full set of small caps,
oldstyle figures, and full f-ligatures, so it's almost an expert
font. The font is free; the readme says:

"You may use these fonts for personal and commercial use. These fonts
may be freely redistributed, provided that you do not alter them in
any way and that you credit GFS for this.

These fonts are distributed free and may not be sold or resold for
any purposes."

The font comes in the usual four variants as an OpenType font.
However, texfont and the lcdf-tools choked on the bold and bold
italic with this message:

../include/lcdf/vector.hh:52: failed assertion `i>=0 && i<_n'

After converting them to pfb/afm (via cfftot1), installation was
easy. If anyone (Adam??) can figure out what this message means, I'd
be grateful nevertheless.

Have a look and enjoy!

Best

Thomas