[NTG-context] Chinese

Tobias Burnus burnus at net-b.de
Fri Dec 9 16:30:00 CET 2005

Hi,

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Is there less kerning among CJK fonts? I would expect so.
Classically any Chinese character has exactly the same width, which is
the same as the height (square). Nowadays some are taller than wide. I'm
quite certain that there is hardly any Chinese font with kerning as this
would break the grid.

> Thinking aloud, you'd probably want to include some language-switching
> commands, to mediate between the calling of unicode fonts for un-named
> CJK glyphs (just raw conversion from Unicode to font switch + glyph
> number) to named roman (and other alphabetic) glyphs (conversion from
> UTF-8 to named glyphs to font+glyph, which retains kerning where it can).
Well, I think one uses most of the time different fonts for Chinese and
non-CJK texts as many Chinese fonts don't include that many roman
letters (at least the ones quoted at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese miss the ß and ä).

Tobias