[NTG-context] Linux binaries

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 28 11:58:54 CET 2005

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>> indeed annoying (and depressing); it also means that you cannot copy
>>> an old tree to a new linux installation (this is what i found out
>>> recently); on windows, one does not have this problem (since it
>>> carries previous versions of libraries); i don't know how sensitive
>>> macosx is for updates
>>
>> It is precisely the same situation as Win98 refusing to run WinXP
>> binaries. (except it doesn't outright refuse that, it just makes
>> them crash unexpectedly and unexplainably)

sure, but at least you know that 95|me and 2000|xp are two different
things, and now i have to get accustomed to the fact that each update of
suse gives me another new operating system  (i wonder how it will feel
to install suse 34.2)

what puzzles me most is that since tex is not that demanding, it is
still so dependent (maybe only pdftex with its graphic libraries is a
problem)

> Well, or Adobe Reader 7 refusing to install on Windows ME* and
> demanding at least WinNT SP x or Win2000 SP 2, fortunally there is
> GhostScript to print PDF files. (The PDF file didn't print with 6.0.)

that's an adobe issue ... they don't care about older machines (same
with mac: they didn't even bother to provide proper support for a while
back); i must have a floppy with an acrobat 1.0 for msdos somewhere; it
actually gave a pretty good picture -)