[NTG-context] Showing the page layout

David Arnold darnold at northcoast.com
Sat Nov 26 02:05:24 CET 2005

All,

I am aware of \showlayout and Patrick's \ShowLayout.

In the case of the former, I have this in my environment file:

\showlayout

\definelayout[myCustomLayout][
   header=30mm,
   footer=20mm,
   headerdistance=10mm,
   footerdistance=10mm,
   topspace=30mm,
   bottomspace=25mm,
   height=middle,
   leftmargin=25mm,
   rightmargin=30mm,
   leftmargindistance=10mm,
   rightmargindistance=10mm,
   backspace=50mm,
   width=middle,
]

\setuplayout[myCustomLayout]

But when I compile, the first page reveals these measurements:

header=1.99962 cm  %way off
footer 1.99962 cm     %acceptable
headerdistance=0.0 cm  %huh?
footer distance=0.0 cm  %huh?

And the list goes on. These don't seem correct at all. Am I misusing
this tool?

I've been following the discussion on the beginner's manual with
interest, biding my time to make my suggestions, thinking about it.
One thing that really comes to mind is the huge amount of time I
spent as a beginner trying to figure out what settings in the layout,
like those above, actually do. And I found the tools for analyzing
changes to these layout settings did not help very much. Something
that could help the beginniner's manual very much would be a macro
that layed the page out accurately with borders around the various
areas (as in \showframe) that include all parts of the layout, even
if they wander from the printed page. This would accelerate the
learning curve for layout dramatically, if it were available.

David