[NTG-context] font problems again

Hans van der Meer hansm at science.uva.nl
Tue Nov 15 23:36:57 CET 2005

Two more questions:

(1) On Nov 14, 2005, at 0:07, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>

>> No help from enabling in cont-sys.tex of:
>> \usetypescript[adobekb] [\defaultencoding]
>> (updmap.cfg contains URWkb for the LW35 fonts)
>> then it starts asking for (non-existing) maps like:
>> Warning: pdfetex (file ec-urw-helvetica.map): cannot open font map
>> file
>>

> that is when you use texfont generated metrics
> texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tfm.dat
> will generate those metrics (which are the ones i use)

Do I now understand correctly that I MUST use texfont first in order
to work with fonts in ConTeXt? I did not realize that when going over
to the new tetex setup. I guess the typescripts for the lm/cmr fonts
are ready-made in the context distribution?
Is there somewhere a script to do this (somewhat painless) for the
"regular" fonts in the teTeX distribution or should I generate just
by hand for whatever font I need?

(2) about math typesetting

Although computer modern (lm fonts) now appear in text, there is
something strange with math. Running the next example coming from the
ConTeXt manual (page 103):
\starttext
{$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$} math\crlf
{$\bf \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$} boldmath BUT
`sin' ISN'T, sqrt NEVER IS \crlf
{$\bf\mf \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c\ \hbox{whatever} + \sin(2x)$} boldmath
NOW `sin' IS, sqrt NEVER IS \crlf
\stoptext
The second line doesn't show the "sin" in bold as contrasted with the
special remark in the manual. I does show in bold with \mf however.
Has the math behaviour changed meanwhile? Or does it point to still
another flaw in my setup?
The following fonts appear in the pdf (as seen in Adobe Reader):
CMMI12, CMSY10, LMRoman12-Bold (and 9), LMRoman12-Regular (and 9).

in comparison, the following LaTeX example has the right behaviour:
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
{$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c$} math\hfill\break
{\boldmath$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = c + \sin{}x$} boldmath\par
\end{document}

Hans van der Meer