[NTG-context] Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?

David Wooten dw at trichotomic.net
Fri Nov 4 19:04:44 CET 2005

>  What do you do with ConTeXT?

I'm using ConTeXt to typeset my Ph.D. dissertation, and have used it
over the last few years to typeset seminar papers, outlines, and so
on. Recently I've also helped a friend typeset his monograph. He is
an architect and painter, so this text is full of diagrams,
paintings, fold-out pages, prose, and indexes.  ConTeXt made it
possible to generate a really beautiful, complex book. I believe that
there was nothing he wanted to do that we couldn't work out with
ConTeXt.

For some reason I've always enjoyed working through the difficulties
of using a complex program that I know should work—this reached a
high point with plain TeX, then LaTeX, and carried on (due to my
always being restless) to my favorite: ConTeXt. Installation of fonts
was particularly difficult, though I can't exactly say why—things go
much more smoothly now. I spent many hours trying and retrying,
reading and rereading, to get OT fonts working with margin kerning.

I feel much more connection with the history and practice of
typesetting working with ConTeXt than with any WYSIWYG system I've
tried.