[NTG-context] Re: Small matrices

Brooks Moses bmoses at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 18 22:15:58 CEST 2005

At 12:41 PM 9/18/2005, Hans Hagen wrote:
>David Arnold wrote:
>>In amsmath, there is
>>
>>\begin{smallmatrix}
>>
>>\end{smallmatrix}
>>
>>Don't know how in Context. I'll find out.
>>
>>Does anyone on the context list know how to do this?

\usemodule[newmat]

\startsmallmatrix
\stopsmallmatrix

>what is a small matrix? small font?

Look in the m-newmat.tex file -- according to the comments, you had exactly
the same question about what it was supposed to be when you implemented
it!  (It's a copy of the AMSmath declaration, I believe.)

In any case, it's a simplified matrix using only one column and using
scriptsize fonts -- it's intended for constructions where you have a
multi-line subscript on something like a summation.

- Brooks