[NTG-context] lilypond inclusion + pdf crop

andrea valle valle at di.unito.it
Sat Sep 17 15:23:27 CEST 2005

Sorry if it seemed exoteric, but my idea was simply to show some
typographical results, not to present a composition (an argument surely
OT).
The idea is that the performer (a pianist, even if notation is generic)
choose a starting point, execute the notation in the chosen vertex,
choose an edge, wait for the duration indicated in the label on the
edge, and executed the reached vertex. Duration is ad libitum.
All the compositional parameters change in relation to space position
of each vertex. So it's like exploring different sound spaces (in the
geographic sense) with specific morphologies.

I use a slightly more advanced  system typically for electronic
composition (here there's a paper in case of interest:
www.di.unito.it/~vincenzo/drafts/Valle-Lombardo-CIM03.pdf).

This is the general structure, then each piece has different, specific,
particularities both in terms of mapping, either in terms of
performance instructions (e.g.  in nodi-II there's no duration
indicated in the vertices, the way one "waits" for the duration of edge
label change between the two pieces, etc.).

Typically I score out the result of a system run. In this case, I want
to experiment with the collaboration of my friend pianist, who is a
very good musician in the broadest sense. The pieces are very open in
some sense, but in other are very "close".

-a-