[NTG-context] Using Adobe built-in fonts with latest context + texlive 204

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Sep 13 10:22:20 CEST 2005

Hi Berend,

Berend de Boer wrote:
> or ec encoding, works as well. It didn't work out of the box
> unfortunately.

Unfortunate (but not completely a surprise).

> But this seems to get me the URW fonts, not the greatest fonts. It

Yes, that is texlive's default.

> seems the latest tex has something like updmap, whatever that
> is. Using "updmap --edit" I changed the LW35 setting to ADOBEkb and now
> I get the built-in fonts I believe. Is that correct?

Correct.

> But I still got complaints about this one:
>
>   Warning: pdfetex (file ptmbi8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
>   Warning: pdfetex (file ptmri8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
>   Warning: pdfetex (file ptmr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
>   Warning: pdfetex (file ptmb8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
>
> But document displays fine BTW.

You do not have the actual fonts, only the metrics. It still works
because the reader will use the 'base 14' pdf fonts (it knows how
to do that because the font names in the pdf are correct).

> I fixed that by changing another setting: setting pdftexDownloadBase14
> to false.

This surpresses the warning. There is no change to the actual output.

> But I'm a bit confused here. I thought Adobe had made those fonts
> freely available, so shouldn't they be in my tex installation? Or is
> this still an encoding issue, and should I use a different encoding in
> order for pdfetex to find these four missing font files??

The Adobe fonts are not freely distributable. They just happened to
be included with previous releases of the Acrobat Reader.

Cheers, Taco