[NTG-context] cropping with \limitatefirstline

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Sep 7 17:55:43 CEST 2005

Peter Rolf wrote:

>Sorry to bother you Hans, but the macro is not working as expected...
>
>I can see the cropped text (\underbar + special symbols) and there is an
>hyphen symbol in the text only example.
>
>I've added the example code I used for tests with \limitatetext and
>\doboundtext.

\def\limitatefirstline#1#2#3%
  {\hbox\bgroup\strut
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}%
   \ifdim\wd\scratchbox>#2\relax
     \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#3}%
     \hsize#2\relax
     \advance\hsize-\wd\scratchbox
     \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\forgetall\veryraggedright#1}%
     \setbox\scratchbox\vsplit\scratchbox to \lineheight
     \vbox
       {\unvbox\scratchbox
        \global\setbox\plusone\lastbox
        \global\setbox\plusone\hbox{\unhbox\plusone}}%
     \box\plusone\removeunwantedspaces#3%
   \else
     #1%
   \fi
   \egroup}

of course there must be something to break (not possible with the non letters, so there you either need to add \hskip0pt's or do real clipping