[NTG-context] pdflatex and mpost -tex=latex

David Arnold darnold at northcoast.com
Mon Aug 22 18:42:28 CEST 2005

Hans, Taco,

Thanks for your replies. Not really a Context question, but we're using
emp.sty with pdflatex to compile some work we're doing and our Linux
server at school doesn't have the -tex=latex option for Metapost (an
older version of Web2c). The package defaults to running metapost with
-tex=latex, so that's a problem. We'll probably circumvent the problem
by upgrading our tex distribution, but the package contains an \empTeX
command that writes a verbatimtex ... tex. So far, I've had no success
making this blank so I tried erasing the verbatim ... tex manually
(it's got a documentclass and a begin{document} in it) and compiling
the tex document with pdflatex and no -shell-escape, but the log file
still contains metapost has no option -tex=latex in it.

So that's why I was asking about the pdflatex. Don't worry about this,
as our workaround will probably be to upgrade our version of tex and it
will cease to be a problem.

Just wanted to let you know what we are doing. If you want to see, try:

http://scinux.redwoods.edu/cgi-bin/testing.cgi

Use:

username: hhagen123
password: password

It's really amazing. We have this young student who taught himself perl
this summer, and my colleague Bruce Wagner is no slouch either, and the
result is we have these perl scripts that generate random test banks.
Quizzes are self scored and results are sent to a mysql database.

Good stuff for three hacks like us.