[NTG-context] Feature request

Steffen Wolfrum context at st.estfiles.de
Tue Jul 26 17:00:16 CEST 2005

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
>  > combinations like
>  >
>  > \placefigure{top,left}
>  >
>  > or
>  >
>  > \placefigure{bottom,outer}
>  >
>  >
>  > The reason for this request is that we use ConTeXt a lot for
>  > typesetting books from "arts and humanities".
>  >
>  > There we often have to place a lot of (more then 100) figures at
>  > "fixed" positions like top-outer and bottom-inner, wrapped by text.
>  >
>  > I guess it's not a trivial feature to be implemented in TeX's
>  > paragraph processing, but I know it might be worth the effort:
>  > ConTeXt's way to deal with fonts and text is so superior that it
>  > should be also accessible for disciplines that besides text also rely
>  > on images - as the arts and humanities do.
>
>  btw, do you know this trick?
>
>  \starttext
>
>  \hangsidefloat[2]
>  \placefigure[left][]{}{} \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf \par}
>
>  \stoptext

yes I know. you once told me (as for the first time I asked for this
feature two years ago...).

true, it's a nice trick. and I used it in smaller publications.
but it is not practicable with a lot of images (and this cases are
the regular ones, unfortunately).

typesetting with a lot of images wrapped by text is still a quite
problematic task in ConTeXt/TeX .

Steffen

(P.S. actually my motivation to move to ConTeXt years ago was the
hope that this image handling might be possible there. well, it
wasn't ... )