columnset balancing, footnoterule in columnset, Re: [NTG-context] columnset layout distortion

Vit Zyka vit.zyka at seznam.cz
Tue Jun 21 11:29:31 CEST 2005

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>> margin). I noticed weird behaviour. It is expressed by vertical shift
>> of columns, please see the page 2 of
>>   http://typokvitek.com/tmp/layoutdistort.pdf
>>   source: http://typokvitek.com/tmp/layoutdistort.tex
>>
>> It seems that the problem is caused by switch to \ss font family
>> continueing to a place of the page break. Any explanation/suggestion?
>
> i made an \restoreinterlinespace mechanism so that you can do the

Hans it is great! I have two next questions:

1) Am I missing something or columnsets do not provide balancing?
\definecolumnset[two]  [n=2,balance=yes]
\starttext
\startcolumnset[two]
    \dorecurse{6}{\input knuth \endgraf}
\stopcolumnset
\input zapf \endgraf

2) Footnotes with settings \setupfootnotes[location=columns,rule=on]
between \columnset do not draw rule. I discover it is due to missing
\vbox. So this solve this problem for me, but it is not elegant and I do
not know if it can caused some side effect:
\def\MyBeforeFootnote{\vbox\bgroup\blank}
\def\MyAfterFootnote{\egroup}
\setupfootnotes[
   location=columns,rule=on,rulethickness=.4pt,
   before=\MyBeforeFootnote,after=\MyAfterFootnote,
]
\unprotect
\def\normalnoterule
   {\endgraf %% <--- add
    \ifvmode
      \color
        [\noteparameter\c!rulecolor]
        {\vrule
           \!!width .2\hsize
           \!!height\noteparameter\c!rulethickness
           \!!depth \zeropoint}%
      \kern\strutdepth
    \fi
    \endgraf %% <--- add
}
\protect

\definecolumnset[col][n=2]

\starttext
   \startcolumnset[col]
     \input knuth
     \footnote{Donald E. Knuth}
   \stopcolumnset

vit

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com