[NTG-context] prevent hyphenation

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 20 09:25:17 CEST 2005

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
>>===== Original Message From Peter <peter at orgelvlaardingen.nl> =====
>>I'm typesetting a text with some citations in nineteenth-century Dutch
>>and French, in which I don't want hyphenation. How can this be done?
>>
>>I now have two macros:
>>\def\stophyph{\pretolerance=15000\tolerance=400}
>>\def\starthyph{\pretolerance=200\tolerance=400}
>>
>>At the beginning of every citation I enter \stophyph{} and at the end
>>\starthyph{}. But the cited words are still hyphenated.
>

> Here is a better approach:

> \setupoutput[pdftex]%
>
> \installlanguage[NH][lefthyphenmin=100,righthyphenmin=100]
>
> \starttext
>
> \language[NH]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \language[en]
>
> \input knuth

> Even better, take the definition of [nl] in type-ger.tex and add it to
> \installlanguage[NH].
>
> Hans: the following would be nice to have:
>
> \setuplanguage[<name>][hyphenation=off]

i must think this over, since normally when a language has no patterns it's off
anyway

\definelanguage[mine][default=en,patterns=]

not sure if that works as expected

>>Putting single words in a mbox also doesn't help... ;(
>

> mbox?!? Dost thou blaspheme!?!
> :-)

-)

how about using \setupalign[nothyphenated] (or \nohyphens)

btw, i recently saw things like

there was this guy called \hbox {Idris} ... (another 10 times this hbox)

where of course the best solution is

\hyphenation{Idris} at the top of your document, i.e. add such names to the
dictionary but do not provide