[NTG-context] XYpic

luigi.scarso luigi.scarso at logosrl.it
Thu Apr 28 10:01:12 CEST 2005

Vit Zyka wrote:

> before I started to use context I had prepared some diagrams in xypic.

Me too, for some notes on a course  on commutative algebra when I was
student at university.

> It was the only way I knew for creating vector graphics for both tex
> and pdftex with text and graphics interaction possibility.

I try xfig with poor results.

> For that experience I strongly discourage for using it with context:
> 1) Xypic has the most obscure syntax I have ever seen.

After writing some commutative algebra exercises, xy code is not so
obscure :)

> 2) Nobody knows if there are not some name-space problems
> (redefinitions).

Big problem not only with xypic.
(after grep-ing xp package and context base I found some possibles names
collisions
in  core-pos.tex,page-lyr.tex,xtag-ini.tex)

> 3) Metapost is naturaly incorporated to context, strongly supported,
> higher possibilities and (my opinion) much more intuitive.

Yes, I love metafun.
But a mp graphic must be preprocessed by mpost for inclusion, and I can
do it only
if I can execute sysytems commands; this open a security and performance
issues.

So:
"Can I typeset a framedbox with a rulestyle WITHOUT using MetaPost ?"
I have posted an idea with XYPic; but \leaders can be used too.

> So I think that such a contextgarden xypic page would be only confusing.

ok, I follow your suggestion.

> P.S. If you are still interesting google for xypic manual.

Better:
http://www.tug.org/applications/Xy-pic/

luigi