[NTG-context] iso latin 2 ; storm fonts

Vit Zyka vit.zyka at seznam.cz
Sun Apr 10 22:31:50 CEST 2005

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Vit Zyka said this at Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:23:05 +0100:
>
>>  enco-st1.tex - ec encoding with storm glyph extension
>>  enco-st2.tex - xl2 encoding with storm glyph extension
>>  enco-st3.tex - variants (additional glyph) for enco-st1 and enco-st2
>
> Vit,
>
> I would refer you to this thread with Thomas Schmitz on "variant encodings":
> <http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2005/009057.html>
>
> I'd call your st1 an EC variant, st2 an XL2 variant, and st3 some sort of
> custom expert encoding. Ultimately names aren't *that* important, but
> they can help a lot when others try to pick up and understand your work.

Thank you Adam for your suggestion. Your naming convention has a logic.
The reason why I do not use it is that I utilized work of Petr Olsak. I
am using all *.tfm, *.map and *.enc files. I believe it is not a
drawback for ConTeXt but it is advantage for me: do not prepare hundreds
of metric files.

>>? I have a problem to define mathematics chars. I did:
>>\starttypescript [math] [dynamoRE] [st1]
>>  \definefontsynonym [DynamoRE-Math-Letters]        [sdgr8te]
>>[encoding=st1]
>>  \definefontsynonym [DynamoRE-Math-Letters-Italic] [sdgri8te]
>>[encoding=st1]
>>  \definefontsynonym [DynamoRE-Math-Symbols]        [sdgr8te]
>>%  \definefontsynonym [DynamoRE-Math-Extension]        []
>>\stoptypescript
>
>>But I get error: !Math formula deleted: Insufficient symbol fonts.
>>Where is the problem?

Answer: math family 2 (Math-Symbols) needs extended (math) metric. So I
switched back to cmsy10. The same for family 3 (Math-Extension).

> I haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but the \setups[font:
> fallback:sans] look to be helpful.

Interesting, I used it.

>>? Storm fonts have different accent shapes for lover/upper case letters.
>>Is there some mechanism to distinguish this making the composits?

It is incorporated like \UCtilde{I}. But hardly needed for Storm since
nearly all imaginable accented letter are pressent as a single glyph.
I only defined this way: Ygrave, Ytilde, Ibreve, Ycaron, Etilde.
For details, see enco-st1.tex or enco-st2.tex

vit