[NTG-context] Defining new font switches (solved?)

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri Apr 8 23:43:49 CEST 2005

Ok, I think I have come closer to understanding the \definestyle problem.  The
problem (bug?) is in  \definetypeface. Consider the following test typescript:

==============type-testlm.tex===============
\definestyle [mvmystyle] [\mv] []

\starttypescript [serif] [mystyle] [name]

  \definefontsynonym [MySerif]     [cmcsc10]

  \definefontsynonym [Serif]       [MySerif]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [mystyle] [size]

  \definebodyfont
    [20.7pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,
     9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=Serif sa 1,
     mv=Serif sa 1]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [MYTest]

  \definebodyfontenvironment
    [mytest]
    [default]
    [interlinespace=2.8ex]

  \definetypeface [mytest] [rm] [serif] [mystyle]
  %[mystyle] [encoding=default]

\stoptypescript

Now consider the following test file:

===========test.tex================
% output=pdf interface=en

\usetypescriptfile[type-testlm]
\usetypescript[MYTest]
\setupbodyfont[mytest,12pt]

\starttext

{\tf This is a test.}

{\normal This is a test.}

{\mv This is a test.}

{\mvmystyle This is a test.}

\stoptext

Consider the  \definetypeface line. If we leave the comment in place, then the
\tf switch will work (and give us small caps) while the \mv switch will give
an undefined control sequence. If we uncomment the last two options in
\definetypeface, then \mv will also work.

Why do predefined switches like \tf work with 4 options while user-defined
style options fail? Is this a bug or feature (seems inconsistent)?

Thnx in advance as always, and happy weekend
Idris