[NTG-context] Typescript for Times New Toman and Arial

ishamid ishamid at lamar.colostate.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:51:16 CET 2005

Dear consortium,

Below is a working typescript for times new roman and arial (I'm told that on
mac the equivalent of arial is helvetica, so this may be os-specific;-<)
This combination is required by Springer-Verlag in many of their books.

I have to typeset an article for a Springer volume (their editor could not
handle my transliteration accents) that will fit in seamlessly with the
editors' preparation of the rest of the volume. When I am done, I will gladly
contribute the resulting style so that others who need to prepare something
for Springer will have something to go on. Maybe this could even be developed
into a full
m-spring.tex module.

Anyway, here is the times new roman/arial typescript. Please make
suggestions/improvements. Also, I'm not sure which math collection works best
with tnr/arial.

Best
Idris

PS. Yes, I did finally get tnr/arial working, though I've hosed my entire
TeX/ConTeXt system in the process: in other words, victorious but wounded;-)

=================type-tnr================
%Names

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman] [name]

\setups[font:fallback:serif]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]          [TimesNewRoman]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [TimesNewRoman-Bold]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [TimesNewRoman-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [arial] [name]

\setups[font:fallback:sans]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]          [Arial]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]      [Arial-Bold]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]    [Arial-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic][Arial-BoldItalic]

\stoptypescript

%Synonyms

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman] [texnansi]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman]
[\typescriptthree-Times]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Bold]
[\typescriptthree-Timesbd]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Italic]
[\typescriptthree-Timesi]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic]
[\typescriptthree-Timesbi]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [arial] [texnansi]

\definefontsynonym [Arial]
[\typescriptthree-Arial]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [Arial-Bold]
[\typescriptthree-Arialbd]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [Arial-Italic]
[\typescriptthree-Ariali]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\definefontsynonym [Arial-BoldItalic]
[\typescriptthree-Arialbi]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

\stoptypescript

% maps

\starttypescript [map] [timesnewroman] [texnansi]

\loadmapfile[texnansi-microsoft-timesnewroman.map]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [map] [arial] [texnansi]

\loadmapfile[texnansi-microsoft-arial.map]

\stoptypescript

% typefaces

\starttypescript [TimesNR]

\definebodyfontenvironment