[NTG-context] lettrine.sty, but not LaTeX

h h extern pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Feb 27 11:13:53 CET 2005

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> basically you want to follow a shape; this is not that hard to
>> implement so i can have a look at it; lettrines is then an instance of it
>
> Lettrine is easier than that, actually. I thought this would be quite
> funny, so here is a brand new module called t-lettri.tex, and an example.

ah, nice, so, lettrines only does a slanted shape?

i played a bit with shapes last night and will probably add something to the
drop macros, and probably also move the code to core-fnt; but it will be a bit
more complex and take some more time; it's a good testbed for playing with
things like glyph shape similarity and such; also, proper alignment is an issue.

(i attached supp-fu3.tex, no production code, just for fun)

concerning your module, maybe we should introduce a new category of modules,
e.g. c-lettrines.tex with x meaning 'converted'; we can then collect them in
another zip;

remark 1:

\sbox is already definined and in use,

i remember someone telling me that this \hbox{{#1}} stuff is needed to satisfy
latex's color mechanism, but that's not needed in context, so a simple

\setbox\Lettrinetbox{}

is not only even more efficient in terms of tokens and performance (unnoticable)
but also does not clash with the core macro.

remark 2:

auto-lettrines (dropcaps etc) are kind of complex in the sense that it's not
trivial to pick up the first 'something' in a paragraph in a robust way [we may
want some extension to tex for that (so we have something to discuss during our
trip to eurotex -)