[NTG-context] Paper size & page arranging

Willi Egger w.egger at boede.nl
Thu Feb 24 20:42:09 CET 2005

Hi  Mojca,

The most elegant way would of course be to have the document setup with
suitable pages. Then you can use the \setuparranging[XY] command, which
is basically meant for preparing businesscards and labels. This looks
then like

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppapersize [A5,portrait][A4,landscape]
\setuppaper
         [dx=2mm,
         dy=0mm,
         nx=2,
         ny=1,
         margin=0,
         width=297mm,
         height=210mm]
\setuplayout
         [topspace=10mm]

\setuparranging[XY]

\starttext
\showframe
\chapter{Ward}
	\input ward
\chapter{Tufte}
	\input tufte
\chapter{Knuth}
	\input Knuth
\stoptext

If your document is already a PDF with A4 pages in it, you might use the
following command to arrange the pages:

texexec --pdfcombine --combination=2*2 inputfile.pdf --result=outputfile

This approach is meant for more than two pages per sheet.

Yet another approach could be

texexec --pdfarrange --paper=a5a4 --print=2up --result=outputfile
inputfile.pdf

As the last two texexec statements work on pdf files, the extension has
to be stated for the inputfile.
For the option paper all DIN papersizes from A0 to A9 can be used.

There is an article published in the MAPS28/2002. This issue of the MAPS
will be free for downloading in the next days.

Kind regards

Willi