[NTG-context] What's (in) a module?

Thomas A.Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Tue Feb 15 18:25:23 CET 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 5:32 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
>
>> 1. What constitutes a module? I wrote a couple of definitions and put
>> them in a file t-foo.tex. When I write "\input t-foo" in the preamble
>> of my document, everything works fine (so the file is found by TeX).
>> When I say \usemodule[t-foo] or \usemodule[foo], I get "system
>>   : no macros found in module foo" and, obviously, "undefined control
>> sequence." So: is there any special form for a module? I'm very
>> curious because I defined a set of similar macros in another module,
>> and everything works fine.
>
> did you run mktexlsr?
It's a file in my $HOMETEXMF which doesn't have lsR files. I ran
mktexlsr nevertheless, but to no avail. I really fail to understand...

>> 2. Is it possible to use a certain encoding file, enco-bar.tex, for
>> parts of a file only? Could one define a macro (in a module???) that
>> would do something like \switchtoencoding[bar] and switch back to the
>> file's default encoding afterwards?
>
> you're talking about font encodings?
>
> \definetypeface [PalatinoA] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
> [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \definetypeface [PalatinoB] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
> [encoding=ec]

Yes, I'm talking about font encodings. For the utf greek stuff, I
defined a file enco-agr to provide the named glyphs, which I call by
adding \useencoding[agr]. But I just realized that this will only add
these named files, not overload the other names in the default
encoding, so I guess that's a non-problem after all.

I guess Adam was in touch with you. unicode vectors and modules for
adding support for utf extended Greek are approaching completion. Maybe
we can think where to put the stuff (five fonts at least). Maybe a
CTAN/Context directory would be a good thing.

Thanks

Thomas