[NTG-context] Choosing an encoding - what are the consequences?

Stefan Wachter Stefan.Wachter at gmx.de
Tue Feb 15 09:38:02 CET 2005

Hi all!

I am on the burdensome path to understanding font handling in ConText.
Now I wonder what the consequences are with choosing certain encodings.

For example if I choose "8a" encoding (called "Adobe standard encoding"):

1. There are lots of empty slots in this encoding. What does ConText do
if a symbol that is to be typeset is not contained in an encoding?

2. Can I ommit the 8a encoding in map files when PDF documents are
generated (because it is the Adobe standard encoding)?

3. Somewhere I read that "texnansi" is a preferred encoding. Why?

Thanks for your attention,
--Stefan