[NTG-context] paragraphs in starttables

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 14 19:02:57 CET 2005

Peter Münster wrote:

> while playing around with starttables, footnotes and paragraphs in
> starttables, I found some problems. Here is the first one, I would like to
> get a paragraph in 2 columns:
>
> \def\SomeText{\dorecurse{20}{hallo }}
> \starttext
> \starttables[s1|p(13em)|l|p(13em)|]
> \VL \SomeText \VL xxx \VL \SomeText \postponefootnotes\footnote{a footnote}
> \VL \AR
> \VL \SomeText \VL
> \TWO{Not ok, since too much distance to the line at the left.}\VL\AR
> \VL \SomeText \VL xxx \VL \SomeText \VL \AR
> \stoptables
> \stoptext
>
> \def\SomeText{\dorecurse{2}{hallo }}
> \starttext
> \starttables[s1|p(13em)|l|p(13em)|]
> \VL \SomeText \VL xxx \VL \SomeText \postponefootnotes\footnote{a footnote}
> \VL \AR
> \VL \SomeText \VL
> \TWO\JustLeft{\vtop{\setupinterlinespace\hsize 14em Better, but I need to
>     calculate the hsize, and there are other workarounds for correct vertical
>     spacing. Furthermore, the footnote is lost.\strut \blank[small]}}
> \VL\AR
> \VL \SomeText \VL xxx \VL \SomeText \VL \AR
> \stoptables
> \stoptext

hm, strange table; anyhow, how about:

\def\SomeText{\dorecurse{20}{hallo }}

\postponefootnotes \bTABLE
\bTR \bTD \SomeText \eTD \bTD xxx \eTD \bTD \SomeText\footnote{a footnote} \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD \SomeText \eTD \bTD[nx=2] Better, but I need to
     calculate the hsize, and there are other workarounds for correct vertical
     spacing. Furthermore, the footnote is lost.\eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD \SomeText \eTD \bTD xxx \eTD \bTD \SomeText \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE \flushfootnotes

btw, tabulate is the most clever with paragraphs