[NTG-context] New ConTeXt cz interface installation problem

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 11 12:41:14 CET 2005

Michal Kvasnicka wrote:

> I apologize that I have recently sent message to this list only when
> I've got some problems. Nontheless I need to keep this tradition. :-( I
> tried to install the newest ConTeXt over the TexLive 9/2003. All was
> perfect except the Czech interface. I've got a strange error. What
> should I do to improve it?
>
> My system is this:
> * SuSE Linux 9.1
> * TeX Live + CTAN 9/2003
> * pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
> * ConTeXt  ver: 2004.12.06  fmt: 2005.1.11  int: english  mes: english
> (/usr/TeX/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/skhyph.tex
> (/usr/TeX/texmf/tex/csplain/t1code.tex Font encoding set to Cork.)

first of all, fetch a context zip from our website

(or grab the minimal context distribution for linux, you can use that one
alongside other trees if needed)

> The \^, \`, \', \v, \" and \r expands to characters by Cork.
> (/usr/TeX/texmf/tex/csplain/skhyphen.tex
> ! Duplicate pattern.
> l.29 a1
>
> I am quite desperate so I will be thankfull for any hint.

the integration of czech/slovak patterns in tex live is a mess, and among the
reasons for problems you will find:

- files not in the right places (generic hyphen paths)
- using non standard names (*hyphen where oithers use *hyph)
- combined with a latex depency (in the *hyph ones)

in spite of what you may think, tex distributions are not upward compatible, and
  fonts and patterns are among the troublemakers.

In your case: locate [cont-usr or so] where context tries to load czhyph and
replace that by czhyphen; same for sk* (so, contrary to other languages,
czech/slovak had the pattersn in the *hyphen files); in your current setup
something "t1code.tex" is loaded and i don't even want to think about what
interference can come from that -)