[MetaTeX] How to Bootstrap MetaTeX

Salman Khilji skhilji at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 31 08:18:04 CEST 2004

I compiled the cxtex portion of the distro successfully using gcc 2.95.  I was
wondering if there are any instructions on how to boostrap the cpdfetex
executable. i.e. how to create format files, setup cfg files etc, install the
files in the correct location, setup a texmf tree etc.

Right now I try to do:

salman at linux:~/Downloads/cxtex-0.51/built> ./cpdfetex -ini plain
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.11b-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2, C port 0.5.1)
(INITEX)
(./plain.tex
Error: ./cpdfetex (file pdftex.cfg): cannot open config file
 ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
salman at linux:~/Downloads/cxtex-0.51/built>

Then I copied pdftex.cfg to the current directory, which happened to be in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/pdftex/config

Then the second time I ran it, it gave me:

! Font \tenrm=cmr10 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found

However, I got this from kpsewhich:

salman at linux:~/Downloads/cxtex-0.51/built> kpsewhich cmr10.tfm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr10.tfm

I suppose, I would need some guidance in this regard, as I have never
bootstrapped a virgin TeX installation before.

I was not able to compile texexec and texutil (version 0.51).  The problem is
that standard C does not allow variable declarations to be placed anywhere in
a function (they must be all the way at the top of the function (or block).
I started moving all the declarations to the top of the functions, but I am
not done with them yet.

I suppose Tacoh is using some newer version of gcc, which perhaps allows
declarations anywhere in a function (like C++).

Salman