[MetaTeX] MetaTeX project pre-announcement

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jul 14 09:51:11 CEST 2004

Hi everybody,

I am happy to announce the birth of a new project called MetaTeX.

The goal of the MetaTeX project is to create a GPL-ed TeX/MetaPost distribution
for POSIX compliant systems, in which the amount of distributed files is minimized
while the speed of the TeX 'make' process maximized.

This will be done by joining all of the needed functionality into a single
executable, and putting all of the texmf input files into a single archive file,
eventually  resulting in a distribution that (in binary state) will comprise only three
actual files:

	an executable, a data archive, and an options file.

As a side-effect, standalone packages of C library-versions of pdfetex, mpost
and tex{exec,make} will be created.

I am posting this pre- announcement in the hope that people who are interested
in this distribution  (and, possibly, even want to help) will join our mailing-list.
See the website for more information on the project, and how to subscribe.

	http://www.metatex.org

Please do not reply to this message in the group you found it in, since any reply
you give will likely be considered off-topic, but feel free to forward this message
to people you believe may be interested.

Greetings and happy TeX-ing,

Taco Hoekwater