[MetaTeX] Sarovar project request: TeXFS

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Aug 6 11:04:25 CEST 2004

For your information, I have requested the following Project:

Name:
-------
TeX File Search

Internal Decription:
-----------
Programs that are part of a TeX distribution usually need to find files within a tree organized according to the TDS (TeX Directory Structure, see http://www.tug.org/tds ).  Usually, this is taken care of by a library called Kpathsea. There are a great many subdirectories and lots of (very) small files in a typical TDS tree, which is why Kpathsea uses cached directory indexes (the saved output of ls-ltR) to reduce I/O calls to the host file system.

This library (TeXFileSearch) takes a different approach to the I/O problem: it will use an archive file that contains the entire physical contents of the directory tree so that it can do lookups against the archive's contents header; and it will optionally return (read-only) pointers into the archive instead of actual filehandles. Besides being faster at run-time, this also reduces clutter on the host file system.

The TeXFS library will be coded in ANSI C, to be used on any POSIX compliant system. It will be implemented such that there is no need for external libraries like e.g. libz.

License:
---------
Public Domain

Public Description:
The TeXFS (TeX File Search) program library finds files within an archive file that internally complies with the TeX Directory Structure.

--
groeten,

Taco