[MetaTeX] libmpost status update and feature question

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Aug 6 10:09:26 CEST 2004

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:58:20 +0200, Bart wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 12:35, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

> > Something to talk about: For the first public (beta) release, it would be neat
> > if there is an initial extension in place that we can announce. The obvious
> > choice would be a different shipout backend like PDF (not in the least because
> > that would be comparatively easy to code) but there are other options, like
> > unlimited memory or metafont-like windowing support or cmyk color or ......
> >
> It is not clear to me what you mean by this.

The MetaMP executable is not  the same as mpost by John Hobby.
It interprets a graphics language that is very close to the MetaPost
language as-defned-by-Hobby, but in the future it will definately
contain extensions, and it will support output to formats other than
'nearly encapsulated' postscript.

For the first public release of MetaMP, it would be nice if one of those
extensions was available straight away. That would help convince
users to try out the MetaMP program, which, in turn, would help
the metatex project (by generating momentum as well as bug reports).

> >   A different approach would be to remove  btex ... etex from
> >   the core language completely, and let the pre-processing be
> >   done before libmpost even looks at the code.

> I like the second approach, let a completely different plugin handle the
> preprocessing. ..
> Of course this means that there must be written some kind of interface.

For the moment, I intend to move the preprocessing to MetaMP proper.
No interface needed, and no external libarary (not yet, anyway).

--
groeten,

Taco