[Dev-luatex] Feature request: busy pdf

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:19:45 CEST 2022

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 8:23 AM Jérôme LAURENS <jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr>
wrote:

> Sorry, last answer was too short…
>
> The problem is not that the new pdf output is not complete until the end
> of the typesetting process, the problem is that the old pdf is removed at
> the beginning of the typesetting process, whereas it could be removed only
> at the very last moment. This would be a big improvement in everyone’s
> workflow (overleaf uses that de facto).

Ah ok, this is the  problem...well in this case the solution should be to
open a tempfile to write the pdf data  and when finished rename the
tempfile.
No need for command line switches.
I cannot use a jobname-related name, because  the format can choose the
same name to write its data: it has to be a tempfile name generated by the
operating system,
and also  it  must be deleted after  the termination of the program --  in
any case, i.e error or abort -- because otherwise we can have tons of
useless files that waste space.
I can look  at these kinds of requests because it can be an optimization --
something that does the same thing but better -- modulo that I have not to
upset the  code too much.
Indeed, another constraint is that the source code of pdftex /xetex /
luatex should be comparable.

--
luigi