[Dev-luatex] Dump sharing - redundant copying/allocations

Taco Hoekwater taco at bittext.nl
Wed Jul 21 08:42:49 CEST 2021

> On 20 Jul 2021, at 21:51, Michal Vlasák <lahcim8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue Jul 20, 2021 at 7:56 PM CEST, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>

>> That code has been around since 2010 (luatex 0.60-ish). I can’t
>> remember exactly why I did that odd copying to a temp array, but I do
>> remember that that particular function was quite problematic w.r.t.
>> endianness and (cross)compiler issues (read: bugs, as in “internal
>> compiler error").
>
> Thank you for your valuable insight Taco. My thinking was skewed because
> I read the history incorrectly, thinking it was more of a mistake that
> slipped into a big commit.

It was definitely on purpose at the time. But that doesn’t mean
you are wrong: your patch should probably be applied. More than a decade
later, the original compiler problems should be fixed
by now (one would hope so!).

There are massive gaps in the luatex part of the svn history of tex-live,
so I don’t think you read the history wrong either, it is just that big
chunks of luatex’s development have not taken place in the texlive
repository.

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: taco at bittext.nl
genderfluid (all pronouns)