[Dev-luatex] keeping in sync with pdftex changes

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 12 12:59:55 CET 2021

On 1/11/2021 8:08 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 11 Jan 2021 19:11:16 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> After updating pdftex i tested that feature (somewhat stupid example as
>> we don't use this link command in context):
>
> How do you make breakable links then?
>
>> so, this flag is somewhat unpredictable in the sense that it influences
>> the next box at the upper level and has no effect in the middle or
>> preceding (either or not migrated) boxes inside the setting.
>
> Well yes ;-) when I tested this for the headers and footers in latex
> it took me some time to get it right, so it is not something for the
> casual user but should be used with care.

It will be:

\protected\def\pdfrunninglinkoff{\pdfextension linkstate 1 }
\protected\def\pdfrunninglinkon {\pdfextension linkstate 0 }

So, a more generic linkstate whatsit (instead of two different ones).
Only values 0 and 1 have meaning.

> Btw: we naturally take also other solutions. Some attribute or
> similar would be fine too. The main point is to have something that
> allows to disable linking of header and footer and doesn't rely on
> the box level, which we can't control there.

I think there's no need to be more clever when this hack works ok for
latex and, as you mention, it's not meant for users. All this pdf stuff
is already more than 20 years old and never was much of an issue anyway:
no need to touch code in many places with the danger of introducing side
effects.