[Dev-luatex] keeping in sync with pdftex changes

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 11 15:53:59 CET 2021

On 1/11/2021 3:34 PM, Linas Stonys wrote:
> Nice to hear that pdftex |is not frozen totally. Could you please implement
> \localleftbox| and |\localrightbox macros from luatex (or Omega) to pdftex?|
> These are very useful macros for example I use it for links break in DVI
> mode. Where I close the
> active link on the line break and reopen it on the next line. And this
> perfectly works in page breaks, footnotes, floats
These are primitives, not macros, and being primitives they depend on
core engine functionality. Now, I'm not sure to what extend pdftex is
extended in fundamental ways but these local boxes are more substantial:

- they demand whatsit nodes that register these boxes (as they can
change any time)
- they use some non-standard list management (as they can be used
multiple times)
- they also result in an adaptation of the (post) line break routines

So, it probably makes more sense to use luatex in dvi mode.