[Dev-luatex] lualatex (incorrectly) replaces em dashes with hyphens

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Mar 1 19:00:47 CET 2019

Am Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:19:50 +0100 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>> Why should we setup defaults that breaks this input as soon as
>> people try to convert a document to use xelatex or lualatex?
>
> You write “we”, as if this had been a conscious decision by a group of
> people.

Sure it was.

Code like \def\UnicodeFontTeXLigatures{+tlig;}
doesn't get added by accident to the latex format. Also
I was even part of some of the discussion.

>> Which user would say that it is an improvement that an input
>> which previously gave an endash now prints --?

> If you think you can speak on behalf of users, please go ahead.  I’m
> the vice president of the TeX Users Group and wouldn’t ever presume to
> wager what users would say. Most of what we do is based on blind
> guesses.

Well I have to wager what users would say. As member of the latex
team and as maintainer of luaotfload I have to decide things. We
can't leave the question which defaults should go in the format in
some sort of Schrödingers cat state. But I'm quite confident that my
decisions are better than blind guesses. I have really a lot
experience with users and documents of all kind.

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/