[Dev-luatex] lualatex (incorrectly) replaces em dashes with hyphens

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 1 17:19:50 CET 2019

	Ulrike,

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 03:59:54PM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Why should we setup defaults that breaks this input as soon as
> people try to convert a document to use xelatex or lualatex?

  You write “we”, as if this had been a conscious decision by a group of
people.  But you must know, as well as I do, that no such thing ever
happened.  At the very best one single person made some half-hearted
decision at some point, when developing the engine, the format, or the
package.

>                                                              Which
> user would say that it is an improvement that an input which
> previously gave an endash now prints --?

  If you think you can speak on behalf of users, please go ahead.  I’m
the vice president of the TeX Users Group and wouldn’t ever presume to
wager what users would say.  Most of what we do is based on blind
guesses.

>                                           Do you want to answer all
> the questions on tex.sx about how to activate the tlig again?

  No.  By the way I can’t, because I don’t answer these questions in the
first place :-)

	Best,

		Arthur