[Dev-luatex] openin_any = p in texmf.cnf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Mar 18 01:15:21 CET 2018

On 2018-03-10 at 13:04:16 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

 > >pdftex --ini plain \dump
 > [...]
 > pdftex.exe: Not reading from
 > c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex
 > (openin_any = p).
 > ! I can't find file
 > `c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex'.

Hello Hans,
the pdftex (or better non-luatex) issue is fixed now by Akira in
TL-pretest SVN rev. 46978.  It was caused by 8.3 support for long
filenames (like ABCDEF~1.TEX).  Akira removed the code because it
isn't needed anymore. Hence

  pdftex --ini plain \dump

is supposed work now on Windows as well.

The luatex problem still remains.  Not only the creation of format
files is concerned.  Instead of

  luatex --ini plain \dump

you can also try

  lualatex '\relax\documentclass{article}\stop'

My vague guess is that luatex checks openin_any *after* paths are
expanded to absolute paths by kpathsea.

IMO the issue is quite important because some web services like
ShareLaTeX are processing arbitrary files uploaded by arbitrary users
and thus it's absolutely necessary to set openin_any=p for security
reasons.  AFAIK ShareLaTeX is not concerned ATM because it still uses
pdftex.  It's highly desirable to make luatex work with openin_any=p
as well.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25