[Dev-luatex] nodelist based tex.saveboxresource

Marcel Kr├╝ger tex at 2krueger.de
Fri Aug 3 01:09:07 CEST 2018

Hello,

I want to suggest extending the tex.saveboxresource interface to accept a hlist or vlist node as an alternative to a box number as first argument.
Currently creating a boxresource from Lua node list requires saving the list in a TeX box register, only to delete that register again by tex.saveboxresource.
A direct way to transform a h/vlist into a boxresource would make such code easier and avoid potential side effects from changing the TeX registers.
An experimental patch with a suggested implementation is attached.

I also attached a patch implementing a node.scan method which I think would be another nice addition for LuaTeX: It scans a box with rules similar to `\setbox0`
and returns the node. This allows passing box-like material to LuaTeX without requiring box registers.

Best regards
Marcel