[Dev-luatex] Luatex 1.0.0 announcement
luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:37:30 CEST 2016
After some ten years of development and testing, today we have released
LuaTeX 1.0.0! Instead of staying below one and ending up with versions
like 0.99.1234, we decided that the moment is there to show the TeX
audience that LuaTeX is stable enough to loose its beta status. Although
functionality has evolved and sometimes been replaced, we have been using
LuaTeX in production right from the start. Of course there are bugs
and for sure we will fix them.
Our main objective is to provide a variant of TeX that permits user
extensions without the need to adapt the inner workings. We did add a few
things here and there but they mostly relate to opening up the inner parts
and/or the wish to influence some hard coded behaviour. Via Lua we managed
to support modern functionality without bloating the code or adding more
and more dependencies on foreign code. In the process a stable and flexible
MetaPost library became part of the engine.
The functionality as present now will stay. We might open up some more
parts, we will stepwise clean up the code base while staying as close as
possible to the Knuthian original, we will try to document bits and pieces.
We might also experiment a bit with better isolation of the backend, and
simplify some internals. For that we might use the experimental version
but if we divert too much we may need to give that another name.
We want to thank all those who have tested the betas and helped to make
More information about the dev-luatex