[Dev-luatex] new primitives

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri May 6 11:01:44 CEST 2016

Hi,

> On 05 May 2016, at 12:26, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> \appto, \preto, \apptocmd,... I think primitves would be much more
>> faster and trustworthy.

Like Hans said: I think speed improvements are just wishful thinking.
It is hard to beat the TeX language speed significantly from compiled
C code if you are still doing more or less the same stuff the TeX
language code would do. In (lua)TeX, useful speedups tend to come from
doing a task differently, not from switching languages.

Still planned for luatex is access to the macro replacement text
as well as macro definition and possibly even alteration from the
lua side of things. Altering macros from lua by using the lua token
list interface would allow one to take macro parameters into account,
and that would open up extra possibilities for sure. And it could
improve reliability of such alterations, I assume. After some thinking,
that sounds like a better way to go.

In fact, thinking it over, I wonder whether we should not change
\[e]toksapp and \[e]tokspre back to lua function calls?