[Dev-luatex] Reproducible builds using luatex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu May 5 15:06:42 CEST 2016

On 5/5/2016 2:51 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> As personal note, it's a pity that we will have  luatex/Debian !=
>> luatex/TeXLive,
>
> It is just support for the env var that is different. Not much of a pain.
>
> And to be honest, I am 99% sure that you will come up with again
> a different solution/approach, and I will still need to put in the
> Debian patches ;-)

sure, because if you want a reproducable document there is more involved
than a time

in luatex (and pdftex) one can add extra objects and data structures and
these can also have times

one can use random elements and then runs can differ too

and when one uses lua there can be sequential differences (when flushing
hash based data) because each run has a different hashing  for security
reasons

so, the most robust way to deal with a reproduceable document is that
the macro package provides an option (because it knows what gets done)

(in luatex one can omit a lot of these time dependent entries anyway and
if needed we provide more turning options as then the macro package can
provide the right solutions / option)