[Dev-luatex] PDF validation

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jan 22 13:59:43 CET 2016

On 1/22/2016 10:24 AM, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> There is a recurring problem with PDF files produced by either pdftex or
> luatex in France.
> Whenever PhD thesis documents are submitted to the French national
> archives, they have
> to be validated by some automated process which relies on pdftk
> (apparently).
> And files compiled by pdftex/luatex are rejected.
>
> The problem is described here :
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.text.pdf/ZnobgbiiDZ4
>
> French pdftex/luatex users will have an eternal gratitude to whoever will
> make this work :-)

As far as I know luatex (and pdftex) produce valid pdf files. Of course
one can add all kind of crap to a pdf file liek invalid objects and so
but that is not our responsibility.

Now, to the file:

https://github.com/dbitouze/yathesis/blob/master/doc/latex/yathesis/master-slaves-files-sample/these.pdf?raw=true

Acrobat preflight says that there should be an indirect object in an
annotation (normally I'd expect a viewer not to bark on it and acrobat
itself handles it ok). Those annotations are probably made by some macro
package and one should check that code.

But ... you mention "pdftex or luatex" but this file is not produced by
any of those engines: it's made by xdvipdfmx which is something xetex.

So we're off the hook.