[Dev-luatex] PDF validation

Fabrice Popineau fabrice.popineau at supelec.fr
Sun Feb 7 15:37:58 CET 2016

Hi,

Some news about this problem and quite a surprising one.
Denis has found a workaround floating around (french latex newsgroup) and
it seems to work.

Basically, the problem is triggered by the banner which is stored in the
PDF:

/PTEX.Fullbanner (This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.16 (TeX Live
2015/W32TeX) kpathsea version 6.2.1)

Once you replace the inner parenthesis by bracket, the validator doesn't
complain anymore.

So, the recipe is:
- compile with
\pdfcompresslevel0
\pdfobjcompresslevel0
- use
\usepackage[a-1b]{pdfx}
if you want to
- use pdflatex as per usual
- replace the ( ) in the banner by [ ] :

sed -i '/^\/PTEX\.Fullbanner/{s/(/[/g;s/)/]/g;s/\[/(/;s/\]$/)/}' file.pdf

Shouldn't those parenthesis be escaped in some way? Or is it the validator
parser which is buggy?

Fabrice

> On 2016-01-26 at 16:00:48 +0100, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>  > 2016-01-22 10:24 GMT+01:00 Fabrice Popineau <
> fabrice.popineau at supelec.fr>:
>  > > There is a recurring problem with PDF files produced by either
>  > > pdftex or luatex in France.  Whenever PhD thesis documents are
>  > > submitted to the French national archives, they have to be
>  > > validated by some automated process which relies on pdftk
>  > > (apparently).  And files compiled by pdftex/luatex are rejected.
>  >
>  > The validation service is at http://facile.cines.fr/
>  >
>  > It seems they want PDF/A-1b, since the failure icon links to
>  > http://facile.cines.fr/aide/pdf.jsf
>  > But the table seems to allow normal PDF 1.5...
>
> Thanks for the link.  I uploaded a PDF/A-1b file created with LuaTeX
> and if a red cross means failure, it failed.  This is strange because
> five other PDF/A-1b validators didn't complain.  The xpdf package
> isn't involved in this case, I wrote PDF/A-1b support entirely in Lua.
>
> Only one validator (pdftron), complained about a TrueType font (CharisSIL)
>
>   "CIDSet in subset font is incomplete"
>
> but I reverse-engineered the CIDSet entry and came to the conclusion
> that everything is compliant with the PDF/A-1b standard.
>
> After all, if a particular validator complains and the reason can't be
> determined, the most reasonable way to proceed is to try to contact
> the guy who wrote this validator.  One can never be sure that
> validators are perfect.
>
> Fabrice, you said:
>
>  > 'No document catalog dictionary' is what you get with the simplest
>  > latex file by default.
>
> If you compile with \pdfcompresslevel=0 you'll see that it exists.
> The question is why the validator can't find it.  I suppose that its
> parser is more fussy than required by the standard.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
>
> --

Fabrice Popineau