[Dev-luatex] And now for something completely different...

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Aug 27 13:46:18 CEST 2016

luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> So this does not really save us from doing our own PDF backend
>> eventually (it's not like Cairo's imaging model would not match that of
>> PostScript and PDF pretty well anyway).  But looking at that file list,
>> I thought it was worth asking.
>>
>> All the best
> Pehaps
> http://mupdf.com/
>
> mutool has a "draw" command :

Well, we do all the font handling and whatever else already in our
PostScript backend (which then uses ps2pdf in case a PDF is desired), so
it does not seem like we are going to win a lot.

The one thing that PostScript does and PDF doesn't (IIRC) is drawing
with a pen.  METAFONT does this by not actually drawing with something
like a circular pen but instead using polygonal pens, and as a result,
the outlines when drawing along a Bezier-spline path are still
piece-wise Bezier.

At any rate, this kind of path digitization is where PS->PDF conversion
is likely to result in large (and approximate) files rather than just
simple format transfer.

So that's where we'll likely have to code some stuff ourselves rather
than just do straightforward output.

Our bitmap output is, again, PS->whatever.  As opposed to the PS->PDF
route, at least there is only one stage of rasterization, namely
Ghostscript.

--
David Kastrup