[Dev-luatex] luatex 0.79.1 does not log \openout calls

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 20 01:10:07 CEST 2015

On 5/19/2015 11:43 PM, Wybo Dekker wrote:
> Ah - right, in version 0.80 they are logged.
> However: in a different format:
>
> pdftex:  \openout3 = `myfile.txt'.
> luatex:  \openout3 = myfile.txt
>
> As a result, texi2dvi still doesn't work.
> Of course, such scripts can easily be adapted, but I think that should
> not be necessary.

Indeed it should not be that hard to adapt the script that uses that
info. Also, future luatex versions might have a bit different logging
once we start upgrading that bit (and these l/r quotes look funny anyway
as any other language wrould use 'xx' or "xx".)

Isn't it more robust to let text2dvi (whatever it does) let write some
explicit and easy to recognize message to the log? For instance the
number 3 in the message can be any valid write related number esp if we
decide to upgrade the write/read mechanisms.