[Dev-luatex] getnext et al.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 7 21:02:52 CEST 2014

On 5/7/2014 8:48 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>> ···<date: 2014-05-07, Wednesday>···<from: luigi scarso>···

>>> for Lua things are easier
>>> http://www.gust.org.pl/bachotex/2014-pl/presentations/openmp-slides.pdf
>>>
>>> For TeX and MetaPost... it's another story
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the slides, that’s a fascinating topic.
>> Philipp
>
> Indeed. You should listen to the live presentation.
>
> BachoTeX is one of the most fascinating/wonderful experience around.
> Once you come to BachoTeX, you get addicted to it (and cannot stand it
> not returning there each year).
>
> Mojca
>
> PS: As far as MKII speedups are concerned: I witnessed approximately
> 100-1000-times speedup when Hans added \sometxt. With gnuplot
> outputting roughly 20-100 "btex ... etex" labels per graph, drawing
> 100 graphs meant that metapost was probably running context up to
> 10.000 times in the background ;) I think that drawing 14 graphs was

Yes, imagine running the metafun manual ... we had projects where a full
blown book (xml encoded) of 400 pages with lots of graphics and
thousands of mp ornaments took one hour. That would be minutes work now
(maybe even sub minute).

> the absolute maximum though and that took roughly 30 minutes to
> compile. And yes, ConTeXt is getting faster and faster ;) From what I
> remember 10 years ago a simple "hello world" took roughly 20 seconds
> to compile.

Hey, it was never that bad! Okay, kpse needed 2+ seconds for loading the
big tree, and texexec in ruby was slower than mtxrun (as it also called
kpse but cached).