[Dev-luatex] getnext et al.

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 7 20:48:22 CEST 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> ···<date: 2014-05-07, Wednesday>···<from: luigi scarso>···
>> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>>
>> > Luigi did investigate the potential for parallelism, though, didn’t he?
>> >
>> for Lua things are easier
>> http://www.gust.org.pl/bachotex/2014-pl/presentations/openmp-slides.pdf
>>
>> For TeX and MetaPost... it's another story
>
> Thanks a lot for the slides, that’s a fascinating topic.
> Philipp

Indeed. You should listen to the live presentation.

BachoTeX is one of the most fascinating/wonderful experience around.
Once you come to BachoTeX, you get addicted to it (and cannot stand it
not returning there each year).

Mojca

PS: As far as MKII speedups are concerned: I witnessed approximately
100-1000-times speedup when Hans added \sometxt. With gnuplot
outputting roughly 20-100 "btex ... etex" labels per graph, drawing
100 graphs meant that metapost was probably running context up to
10.000 times in the background ;) I think that drawing 14 graphs was
the absolute maximum though and that took roughly 30 minutes to
compile. And yes, ConTeXt is getting faster and faster ;) From what I
remember 10 years ago a simple "hello world" took roughly 20 seconds
to compile.