[Dev-luatex] getnext et al.

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed May 7 10:16:38 CEST 2014

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> ps. At bachotex some folks told me that the perception is that luatex
> is slow. Apart from the expected lower speed due to 32 bit character
> handling and wide fonts, my impression is that (at least for context)
> we now run quite okay. Given that we do more complex things (not
> talking fonts now) mkiv runs faster than mkii or at least comes pretty
> close. My personal aim is that a edit-test cycle of a couple of pages
> should stay below .5 sec (all included). When I get 20-50 pages per
> second on average complex documents on my current laptop I'm fine.
>
> ps. I just read in tugboat that the texbook on DEK's 3.2G xeon driven
> machine needs .3 seconds which is on such hardware twice the time
> context needs to produce a zero page document.

The per-page costs of tex.tex (the version generated by weave tex.web)
are likely even less: it's just doing what TeX does well.

"Modern" formats are really turning the Pascal/macro ratio on its head.
The kind of mess the inputenc/fontenc combination alone does makes
\tracingall almost unreadable.

--
David Kastrup