[Dev-luatex] pdf.obj() removes leading white space

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 9 18:52:25 CET 2014

On 3/9/2014 12:30 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2014-03-08 at 12:45:07 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>   > On 3/8/2014 1:46 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>   > > Hi,
>   > > I'm currently trying to insert XMP metadata into a PDF file in order
>   > > to make it PDF/A compliant.
>   > >
>   > > The XML stuff is a Lua string and I'm using pdf.obj() in order to
>   > > create the object.  However, leading whitespace is renoved by
>   > > pdf.obj().  As far as the XML stuff is concerned, it's not a big
>   > > problem if indentation gets lost because XML parsers ignore it anyway.
>   > >
>   > > However, I have to add about 2..4 kB of padding and all validators
>   > > insist on space characters (0x20).  This padding is important because
>   > > it allows content management systems to extend the XML stuff without
>   > > the need to re-generate the xref table.
>   > >
>   > > After all, I would expect that pdf.obj() allows to insert even binary
>   > > stuff because PDF objects can contain anything.  Hence I assume that
>   > > the current behavior is not desired.
>   > >
>   > > I didn't try pdf.immediateobj() yet but I fear that it's affected too.
>   >
>   > this works quite ok
>   >
>   > local s = [[
>   >
>   > <foo>
>   >      <bar>
>   >          some crap
>   >      </bar>
>   > </foo>
>   >
>   > ]]
>   >
>   > pdf.refobj(pdf.obj("stream",s))
>   > pdf.immediateobj(s)
>   >
>   > of course if you embed that kind of lua code in a tex file then you have
>   > to make sure that you use a catcode regime that retains spaces ..
>
> Hi Hans,
> thank you for the response.  I'm still confused.  I didn't expect that
> I have to care about catcodes when I use pure lua functions.
>
> But there are some oddities.  First of all, in my actual project I'm
> using pdf.immediateobj() and it seems to work there.  But I don't know
> why it works there but not in my MWE (see attachment).
>
> Of course, I could continue but I hesitate to add more complexity
> until I completely grok what's going on.  I fear that I break it when
> I change something anywhere else.
>
> What also confuses me is that in the MWE spaces are preserved unless
> they appear at the beginnig of a line.  I.e., the line
>
>              <!--                         -->
>
> appears as
>
> <!--                         -->
>
> in the PDF file.  I would expect that with \catcode32=10 all spaces
> are collpsed and leading spaces are ignored but with \catcode32=12 all
> spaces are pertained.
>
> If you try the MWE on Linux, just run the makefile.

As we're supposedly talking latex here it's a bit off topic for this
list but anyway ... I can't run your example as i have a context-only
setup here, but looking at your code:

\input{xmp.lua}

\bgroup\catcode32=12
\luadirect{XMPobj("\pdfcreationdate")}
\egroup

that wouldn't help much. What I meant with catcodes is that when you
*load* the lua code inside tex it matters what the catcodes are, so, it
should be

\bgroup\catcode32=12
\input{xmp.lua}
\luadirect{XMPobj("\pdfcreationdate")}
\egroup

But then the next question is: what does \begin{luacode*} do with
catcodes; I'm sure you cannot change that without also messing with
other usage.

The easiest solution is to just load the file using lua's "dofile", so
something:

\luadirect{dofile("xml.lua")}