[Dev-luatex] Building luajittex.exe on Windows (via MinGW)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 5 13:48:57 CET 2014

On 2/5/2014 1:24 PM, Graham Douglas wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I just tried to build the experimental release --- using buildjit.sh.
>
> I used revision 4763, running buildjit.sh under Windows 7, 64-bit and
> received
> the following end-of-build report:
>
> E:\MinGW\bin\strip.exe: 'buildjit/texk/web2c/luajittex.exe': No such file
> ls: buildjit/texk/web2c/luajittex.exe: No such file or directory
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 Graham Administrators 8223758 Feb  5 09:38
> buildjit/texk/web2c/luatex.exe
>
> Earlier in the build it was reported:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/e/luatex/experimental/buildjit/libs/luajit/luajit-build/src/libluajit.a',
> needed by `luatexdir/luasocket/src/libluajitsocket_a-auxiliar.o'.  Stop.
>
> So, luatex.exe built OK but luajittex.exe did not --- just curious to
> explore luajittex.exe :-)

if luatex/experimental is the checkout of the experimental branch you
shouldn't be surprised if something fails (experimental is really
experimental and is used to explore issues and as such is not useable
outside development)

currently the luatex / luajittex code base is merged so there can be
some instability anyway but we expect trunk to be up and running soon
(including the mingw builds)

(with respect to luajittex vs luatex: we've done (and reported on)
intense timing and it normally runs faster - depending on how much lua
is used - due to the faster virtual machine; with jit enabled it often
runs slower as there is not much to jit in a tex run and/or much code is
one-time used - which is why jit itself is (and will be) disabled by
default)