[Dev-luatex] Slowdown of font loading

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Apr 4 11:43:12 CEST 2014

On 4/4/2014 10:54 AM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi,
> switching from LuaTeX 0.72 to 0.79.1 I experience a dramatic slowdown when reading fonts. I have not gone into details yet.
> I load texgyre heros (otf) in several instances and my former minimum document compiles in less than 0.5 seconds, now it's up to 2 seconds.
> I have removed fontloader.to_table() and access the font structure directly, but this didn't change anything.
> It looks as if the main computation time is in glyph.boundingbox. Is there any way to speed up the bounding box calculation?

that calculation has always been there i think; the to_table is not so 
much the issue as the glyph table (already for some versions) is a 
virtual table so loading is delayed (also saves mem); there are some 
cases where the calculation is triggered, but we tried to avoid it with 
the simple get info case so maybe something else is going on

(btw, it might be possible to speedup the loading a bit but that's part 
of the general speed up of table creation and luigi an i will look into 
that after 0.80 because we don't want to break something last minute)


                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

More information about the dev-luatex mailing list